Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Problem in IE's File Type Recognition

From: "Arian J. Evans" <arian.evans () anachronic com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:40:45 -0500

IE's MIME type detection has been well documented for some time
(and this behavior has been around for some time):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/networking/moniker/overview/appendix_a.as

There are a number of things you can do with this, and I've
discussed it with Microsoft's Security IR Center several
times, and never gotten anything in the way of an "official"
response about the subject (e.g.-killing auto mime-type
detection for certain more dangerous types of content).

I started playing around with this more last year when
the Windows Media Player and WMF exploits came out, and
put up some simple examples here:

http://www.anachronic.com/xss

It's sorta fun to play with for <= couple of hours. YMMV,

Arian J. Evans

"See? That was nothing.
But that's how it always begins.
Very small." -Egg Shen