Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

MS05-039

From: A A <hd78432 () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 04:52:06 -0700 (PDT)

The HOD exploit for ms05-39 has been tested on windows
2000 sp4.  Based upon the comments in the machine code
for the rpc call I am assuming the return address for
the  buffer overflow to be 0x767a1567.  Is this memory
address the return address for the buffer overflow?

  If it is the case that this address is the return
address for the buffer overflow the code that it
returns to looks something like this:
"pop eax
 pop esi
 ret"
Why would overflowing to an address that pops a value
into the eax register cause this program to become
vulnerable?  I don't see why overflowing to this
address would cause a program to become vulnerable.

  Does anyone know what the machine code looks like
exactly before the spot in the vulnerable program
where this vulnerability occurs?