Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Cause of MS SSL DoS attack

From: SanjayR <sanjayr () intoto com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:58:58 +0530

Hi All;
I am trying to understand the main cause of DoS for MS SSL vulnerability (MS04-011, CAN-2004-0120). Everywhere, I get one information that specially malformed SSL messages can cause DoS, but what exactly is causing the DoS is not mentioned. After seeing the exploit code, I could see that normally, during SSL handshake, client sends available Cipher suites to server, which are around 30 (at most). therefore Cipher Suite length is at most 60 bytes (in general). but under this attack, i found it to be 39729!! there are many unknown types of cipher suites. Is this the cause of DoS? I shall be thankful for any information.

-Sanjay