Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

[Fwd: RE: the possibility of jumping back to code in an exploited program]

From: Jonathon Giffin <giffin () cs wisc edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:16:11 -0500

Jonas Yorg wrote:
So I heard somewhere once that supposedly a buffer-overflowing program
can jump back into the code it's exploiting in order to call some
system call (after setting up the appropriate stack/register
environment I would suppose). I think that whoever I read heard from
was maybe thinking of return to libc type exploits where you jump to
some libc wrapper for a system call.  Anyway my question is this (for
both linux and windows, but mainly linux for now): Is it possible to
directly jump back to code in the program you exploited?

Yes. If you're willing to read an academic research paper, this has exactly what you seem to be looking for:

Automating Mimicry Attacks Using Static Binary Analysis
Christopher Kruegel, Engin Kirda, Darren Mutz, William Robertson, and Giovanni Vigna
In Proceedings of the 14th Usenix Security Symposium. August 2005.
http://www.auto.tuwien.ac.at/~chris/research/doc/usenix05_attack.pdf

Attacks described in the paper execute all system calls from application code, not from injected code, to evade intrusion detection systems that verify the origin of system calls. The paper also explains how the attacker can regain control after calling into the application to execute a system call.

I am not affiliated with these authors; I just think it's nice work.

Jon