Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: books or material on mail protocols

From: "John R. Morris" <jrmorris () nerdality com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:01:21 -0500

Mads Rasmussen wrote:

I searched amazon for books on mail protocols such as pop2/3, imap3/4 and smtp but wasn't able to find anything interesting, like code examples.

What puzzles me are the mime encodings and if it's possible to write back to an imap server, you read the message, modify the body and write the changed message back to the imap server. I know the source are the RFCs on each protocol, that's fine to understand the protocol, but how do you implement it in win2k, 2k3, unix??

Could anyone help out?

Thanks for the info on sql injection!!

Mads

Well, for the Unix/Linux side try:
Sendmail  (The infamous bat book)
Managing IMAP
Programming Internet E-Mail
All by O'Reilly

I am sure there are others, including ones covering IIS/SMTP on Windows, Exchange (ewww) on Windows, etc. I am very surprised your search didn't turn anything up...

- John