Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: win2k, XP deletes somename_files when somename.html deleted

From: Michael Wojcik <Michael.Wojcik () microfocus com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 10:08:20 -0800

From: q q [mailto:systemcracker () gmail com]
Sent: Saturday, 05 February, 2005 14:08
To: vuln-dev () securityfocus com

create a file named foobar.html
create a folder named foobar_files
copy a bunch of files (of any type) inside foobar_files
delete foobar.html

notice that windows has also deleted foobar_files and
everything inside it

It's easy to disable this misfeature: change the setting for "Managing pairs
of Web pages and folders" in Explorer.

For XP (the process is similar for other releases, IIRC):

1. Open Windows Explorer
2. Go to Tools -> Folder Options...
3. Select the "View" tab (because *of course* the behavior of deletion
operations is a matter of how files are viewed, just as the handling of your
car depends on its color, and the digestion of food depends on its
presentation on the plate)
4. Scroll to the "Managing pairs of Web pages and folders" item
5. Select the "Show both parts and manage them individually" radio button
6. Apply the change

It shouldn't be too difficult to find where this is controlled in the
Registry and create a .reg file to set it, but frankly I can't be bothered.
One of the first things I do when I get a new account on a Windows system is
go through all of the UI settings in Explorer, the various control panels,
etc.  Doing so manually, each time, serves to remind me why proper user
interface design is important.

--
Michael Wojcik
Principal Software Systems Developer, Micro Focus