Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: FreeBSD shellcode

From: Bruno Morisson <morisson () genhex org>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:29:09 +0100

Check out http://packetstorm.widexs.nl/0007-exploits/7350qpop.c

* The pop pointer has to be exact, if it hits one of the forbidden characters * (0x0a, 0x41-0x5b, 0x80-0x9f) you're out of luck. The return address can be
 * modified in a window of about 50 bytes, this is enough.

It seems you're hitting the forbidden range...

regards
--
Bruno Morisson <morisson () genhex org>

Joshua Davis wrote:
Hi. I developed some simple shellcode and sent it to my FreeBSD box along with a custom format string to exploit Qpop 2.53. When the shellcode didn't work and GDB reported 'illegal instruction', I compared and contrasted. To my suprise, Qpop or FreeBSD had taken the bytes 0x80, 0x88, and 0x89 from my shellcode. Does anyone have any idea why this occurred? I assume a range of values is being exclused. 0x79 was fine.