Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: MSIE flaws: nested array sort() loop Stack overflow exception

From: "isno" <isno () xfocus org>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:38:06 +0800

I don't think this flaw is exploitable.In MSIE, any loop can lead to exception.Just like:

<IFRAME SRC=?>

save it as a html file, open it in IE, in about 30 seconds, it will cause a stack_overflow exception and exit. Because
IE will not stop allocating stack buffer, until there is not enough stack space.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Hi all,

Another flaw in IE:

<HTML>
 <SCRIPT> a = new Array(); while (1) { (a = new Array(a)).sort(); } </SCRIPT>
 <SCRIPT> a = new Array(); while (1) { (a = new Array(a)).sort(); } </SCRIPT>
</HTML>

Normally I would see if it's exploitable but I figure I'm not MS's pet bug finder/analyser... So, I've CC'ed this
message to Microsoft. I'm sure they know their own product better then I do and can analyse the problem much faster.
So if you want to know the impact of this vulnerability, ask them: I'm sure they will be more then willing to help
you. I'm sure they will even reply to this message with technical details and a patch tomorrow.

Added to the list: http://www.edup.tudelft.nl/~bjwever/advisory_ie_flaws.html

Cheers,
SkyLined
http://www.edup.tudelft.nl/~bjwever

PS. Don't think firefox will keep you save from hackers, I _know_ it won't ;) But more on that later...
PS2. Recursive function call will cause stack overflow causing write exception in guard page on a push, no control
over registers.

                           Cheers,
        isno
        isno () xfocus org