Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Thwarting /bin/bash, an anti-overflow concept ?

From: Bruno Lustosa <bruno () lustosa net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 14:47:03 -0200

* Alex Schütz <antitrack_legend () chello at> [07-01-2004 14:14]:
Anyhow, if we delete all shells... how safe are we, then ? (Ignoring the
case that crontab might not work anymore...)

Apart from crontab, what if you ever need to do some remote or local
maintenance on the server? How are you going to do it?
And not only crontab, lots of programs on the system are in fact shell
or other scripts, and they would also break.
Even then, if I can run code of my choice, I could open a socket on any
port, and get whatever is sent on that port and pass it throught to
exec() and similar functions.
It will for sure cause more trouble than it would be worth.

--
Bruno Lustosa, aka Lofofora          | Email: bruno () lustosa net
Network Administrator/Web Programmer | ICQ UIN: 1406477