Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: IRFTP possible woes

From: "Brewis, Mark" <mark.brewis () eds com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:53:54 -0000

Hi,

See: Infrared Vulns on laptops
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/101/333323/2003-08-08/2003-08-14/1
for a previous discussion on this.

As a means of hacking, IR has some serious limitations.

<SNIP>

[RECENTLY] I ran across what I believe is an irftp based worm. While
cleaning two laptops one day (one connected to a secure VLAN
the other not
connected), I noticed the connected machine flash its irftp sensor and
task manager showed it was running. Few seconds later the connected
machine stopped beeping, the disconnected one started, and it
too showed
irftp sessions. After checking around the premises for infrared
*anything*, I dug up all I could from both machines. The disconneted
machine had already been cleaned, and the connected one was
infected with
all sorts of SDBOT worms, Spyware, *crapware*foo*.

Something to think about if you're sitting in the park one
day disconneted
from any network and someone's infected machine sends you via
IRFTP some
crap.

irftp C:\evil_at_script \\victim\C:\WINDOWS\run_me

Where some at script would run something like:

net user luzer something /ADD /FULLNAME:"Admin Account"
/COMMENT:"Admin" /h

I'm almost positive something like this is what happened. I
believe its
possible to have that machine run whatever you would want it
to, and since
IRFTP has no authentication (that I know of) what is needed to perform
such nonsense. A machine name, share name, not that big of a deal.

<SNIP>