Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Exploiting network services question

From: Vade 79 <v9 () fakehalo deadpig org>
Date: 13 Dec 2004 21:12:54 -0000

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the exploitation of network services.
If I send the following string to a service

["A"x78]["abcd"][junk - up to 430 bytes]

I can control eip with "abcd". How can I exploit this? Is there a good
tutorial that I should read? Unfortunately I did not find anything usefull
with google...

Well, i take it your problem is the limitation of 78 bytes to place the shellcode.  If so, often times you can place
the shellcode(with nops) after the point of the overflow, ie. 82nd byte onward in your case.  However it is also
possible, depending on your situation, for that memory to get mangled along the way, if that is the case try placing
your shellcode somewheres else in memory(before you cause the overflow)...if all else fails 78 bytes of shellcode room
is moderatly decent amount of instructions to work with, doesn't leave much guessing room though :/

if i misunderstood the situation, please reply with more direct information.