Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: sample buffer overflow exploit problem

From: Gerardo Richarte <gera () corest com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:31:56 -0300

Ganbold wrote:

Deepcode,

I tested my shellcode by function pointer(tested in Aleph1's code) and it works fine without any problem. I can connect
to it using telnet.
Since shell is bind to port I can issue commands.

   Ok...

   what application are you trying to exploit? (if you made it, post the src unless it's too big.

   can you debug the target application? if so, debug it, and see why the shellcode is failing. From your description,
the shellcode is either crashing, or failing to execute the shell (and then crashing).

   can you ktrace/strace the target application? This is a "light" way of debugging.

   gera