Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: OpenSSH Vulnerability

From: Ryan Veety <ryan () ryanspc com>
Date: 18 Sep 2003 16:33:16 -0000

Now, I've been hacking at the 3.6p1 source all day and it comes down to a
few things. OpenSSH refuses packets > 256kb in size. Also,
buffer_append_space() will only let you append 1mb of data at a time. It
needs >10mb allocated to successfully error and null out too much data. So
that's the big obstacle so far, obercoming the limits.

Turn on ssh packet compression, ssh -C.  10MB of NOP's easily compresses down to < 256KB and causes the fatal() in
buffer.c.  Thats about as far as I've gotten so far.

Ryan