Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: openbsd 3.4 ps bug

From: Daniel <deadbeat () sdf lonestar org>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:51:01 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Kurt Seifried wrote:

the gdb it gave me the address 0x1c01c116 in ?? ().I don`t have the
time to confirm if the bug is exploitable or not but it is a big problem
because a user(id 1000+) can also do that.This is a report which will also
be submited in the bugtraq.It is also not confirmed that other versions

Yes this creates a core dump. I fail to see how this is exploitable for
additional privileges however as ps is not setuid/setgid (simply mode 0555).
Can you please enlighten us as to how this is exploitable for additional
privileges?

Kurt Seifried, kurt () seifried org
A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574
http://seifried.org/security/

i didn't see him saying it was exploitable, as he didn't have time
to look
into it. yep your right, i dont see how any privledges can be gained from
this.

deadbeat