Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: vulndev-1 and a suggestion about the ensuing discussion

From: xenophi1e <oliver.lavery () sympatico ca>
Date: 15 May 2003 16:46:57 -0000

The second aspect is also interesting, but to my view *separate*: if my
above analysis is correct, then the question is, "how much damage can
you
cause in various operating systems and with particular C compilers if
you
can clobber that one byte off the end of a malloc" [with the answer
being
"a widely variable amount of damage, of course..:o)].  And I realize
this

On a related note, how many ways are there of preventing this sort of
error, or at least preventing it from being a security issue? To me
that's more interesting than a blow by blow of the impact...

1) Don't make silly mistakes. Obviously this isn't going to happen.

2) Use canaries in the allocator. What's the best way to do this? For one
byte overflows a simple value at the end that's difficult to guess would
have saved this snippet from being 0wn3d. What about a longer overflow as
might have resulted from using strcpy?

3) How could the layout of malloc()s bookeeping info be smarter? Are
there any platforms that have allocators that are more robust against
overruns?

Perhaps this is off-topic for some, but it seems like the most
interesting part of a problem like this, to me...

Cheers,
~ol