Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: NetBIOS could be used as network flood amplier

From: "L. Walker" <k_aneda () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 07:33:40 +1000

Just moving this to vuln-dev before the bugtraq admin eats us.

I've seen similar 'things' to what your referring to.. I understand what
you mean by using NetBIOS's replies to takedown a host or two.

Back a while ago on the list, someone pointed out that games such as
'Battlefield 1942', which utilise GameSpy on UDP, could easily be used
to attack hosts when sending a <100 byte packet would result in a 2K
reply.

Guess Microsoft has some more patching to do.

--
L. Walker
BOFH Excuse #385: Dyslexics retyping hosts file on servers