Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Buffer overflows, return address and offset

From: Peter Bondra <kandm () cybermesa com>
Date: 5 Mar 2003 14:58:47 -0000

Hello:
I am testing the xlock vulnerability on a Sun Solaris 8(SPARC).  In the
process, I realized that I need help to determine the return addresses and
offset.  The code I scarfed off of the web worked as advertised on Solaris
7(SPARC), but when I compiled/tested it on Solaris 8(SPARC), it
segfaults.  ALso, I do not get a core file...well I may have at one time
or another.

The exploit code is at: http://www.securiteam.com/exploits/5GP0D1F55W.html

For testing purposes, we have stack execution enabled even though I
believe the exploit is a heap-based buffer overflow.

My question is: what steps should/could I take to determine the return
address and other address-related variables, i.e, offsets, etc?   More
specifically, what gdb commands will help and how do I interpret the gdb
output?  Is "truss" useful to get the desired information and how do you
use it?  Finally, are there other tools that are useful?  My fellow
emloyees are suggesting that I use a loop and guess at the values until I
get the desired result...

Thank you