Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Win32hlp exploit for : ":LINK overflow"

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:59:14 -0500

I'm not entirely sure I get how serious this is.  If I understand correctly,
you're modifying a .cnt file so that when it's called (by using it's
corresponding .hlp file) it will go out and download/execute a program from
a predetermined site.  When you're at the stage where you can modify files
on the target machine, how much of a difference does it make to be able to
get a .cnt file to do your bidding, as opposed to any executable that could
have another executable bound to it, for example?  Perhaps I'm missing
something...