Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: shellcode with standard characters

From: KF <dotslash () snosoft com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:07:16 -0700

JohnnyRun wrote:
Hi!
This is my first post and I'm looking for some documentation.
A friend of mine has produced a segfault with malloc vulnerability on an
application.
We would like to produce something more interesting.
The field overflowed can accept only characters between 0 and 128. Any
other character is replaced with a whitespace.

Can we inject shellcode with only this characters avaible?
Can you suggest me documentation about shellcode writing?

Thanks a lot
JohnnyRun

You should play around with the ABO tutorials by gera of COREST.

For example
http://community.core-sdi.com/~gera/InsecureProgramming/abo9.html

http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Sandbox/SolutionsToAbo9

I have no clue what language this is but it has solutions to the other ABO programs... for some people seeing the exploitation process helps them duplicate the scenario on their own box... so sorry if anyone thinks I spoiled the fun.

http://www.moon-soft.com/doc/readelite377385.htm

as for shellcode...

http://buffer.antifork.org/shellcode/buffer-i386-raptus.c
http://www.phrack.org/phrack/57/p57-0x0f