Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Password Cracking Challenge...

From: Ronish Mehta <sf_mail_sbm () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:19:39 -0700 (PDT)

--- David Schwartz <davids () webmaster com> wrote:
      Two things:

      1) You should have hashed a few of the shortest
possible passwords, like
'a' and 'b' if the program would allow you to. At
minimum, you should have
hased passwords that are much more similar, like
'foo0' and 'foo1', or
ideally '0' and '1'. You have no passwords that
differ by only one
character.

Application does not allow to put smaller passwords

Password0 - D5FBB0C7C20D9CE79D3B837BD6FB3505
Password3 - D5FBB0C7C20D9CE7B872B3A0BD587B8D
Password4 - D5FBB0C7C20D9CE7BE369511C82DD666
Password5 - D5FBB0C7C20D9CE75B475FA1726B4870

      2) You need to tell people what it is they're
working on. If we're going to
help you compromise the security of something, we
need to know what it is.
You don't mention whether this is an algorithm you
constructed just for this
challenge or whether it's a real algorithm.

This is a real algorithm. It is used in a small
application used at the company I work for, I posted
this because i need to make a password audit for weak
passwords, I have full access to the database this is
how i get access to the hashes!
We do not have access to the source code, so i can;t
figure out the algorithm