Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: What to do with a vulerability?

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:57:30 -0800

Jason Coombs wrote:
Viral vs. non-viral is an unimportant distinction -- if you choose to engage
in this business, be sure you can document your good intentions and your
legal forensic procedures because they are your only legal defense against
prosecution.

Persecution, on the other hand, is a given.

Oh, I dunno. I think it would be a lot harder to make a case for innocent intentions if the code were written in viral/worm form. In this instance, what *appears* to be under discussion is a technique for process hiding. That's not even an exploit per se. On the whole spectrum of programs that someone might take offense to, that's not too bad. I think that the question of viruses and worms came up only because the person who made the discovery assumes that malicious code would be the main consumer of such a technique.

I wish I could simply roll my eyes at your statement that releasing an exploit or technique might make one an accessory to a crime, but sadly I fear your concern now has a basis, and I can't dismiss it outright anymore.

                                                BB