Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

locating default signal handler for SIGSEGV

From: Devrat Mittal <u02113 () cs unipune ernet in>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 17:51:32 +0530 (IST)

hi ppl,
Can anyone tell me how can I locate the signal handler for SIGSEGV,
so that I can call it directly. The reason: I have a proftpd-1.2.7 binary,
on which I am using the proftpd \n processing bug exploit, & i am trying
to locate the correct offset (ret address) for it. So the daemon does do a
segfault & it has a handler installed for it. So it displays

Proftpd terminating (signal 11)...

Problem is I cant run the code under gdb as the segfault fails to occur if
i debug the binary, further i cant recompile the binary at all as that
also changes addresses & the segfault fails to occur. My goal is to
somehow call the default signal handler (to get a core dump) & then
analyze the program to see where the shellcode was placed.

Plz help me coz there aint no hackers here whom i can consult.

--
Devrat Mittal
M.tech 2nd year