Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

LC_COLLATE=en_US

From: Seth Arnold <sarnold () wirex com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 12:26:44 -0700

Greetings;

I recently found the default settings of LC_COLLATE on a recent RedHat
Linux distribution to be highly surprising. An example:

$ touch a A b
$ echo [a-z]
a A b

I am much more used to LC_COLLATE=C behavior:
$ touch a A b
$ echo [a-z]
a b

I would wager there is some software that expects LC_COLLATE=C as well.
I just don't have the time to search for them, so I turn to you, the
good reader, in the hopes that you will have time to search for
unexpected behavior on systems where LC_COLLATE does not reflect
traditional Unix behavior.

Happy Hunting!

--
It seems the power has been robbed from the founding fathers and is now
firmly in the hand of the funding fathers -- Rik van Riel