Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Covert Channels

From: Darryl Luff <darryl () snakegully nu>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 21:45:01 +1000

> Jeremy Junginger wrote:

Has anyone had success in creating a program that uses IP/TCP/UDP/ICMP
header information to transmit encoded messages from one host to
another?  Shortly after reading

Hi Jeremy,

As you say there are usually easier ways. If you're inside a firewall connecting out, you can just use http, https or email through their existing systems. If you're outside trying to connect in, I think that the main problem is getting your packets in to where the target system can see them. If you can do that, you can encode it however you want.

I imagine that the easiest way would be to pick an unknown IP or TCP option number and insert your own options field into the IP or TCP header. This keeps your data separate from the TCP connection data. I think that an option field can be up to 253 bytes of data?

Do any IDS systems trigger on unrecognised option fields?

Darryl Luff