Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ps under FreeBSD

From: "J. Mallett" <jmallett () NewGold NET>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 17:36:15 +0000

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 05:56:34PM +1200, Andrew Turner wrote:
On 18 May 2002 at 18:57, Jakub Filonik wrote:

Hi,
I was playing with ps on FreeBSD with kern.ps_showallprocs=0 and I was
surprised when I have seen that I may see info about running process, if I
know it's ID

kern.ps_showallprocs only disables ps showing all processes.
For example, try running "ps -ax" with kern.ps_showallprocs=0 and, as
a user, you only get prosesses you own.

It's much improved in 5.0-CURRENT, as the security.bsd.show_other_uids (I
think) oid.

I think it may be seen as bug. What do You think?

It's definitely just "the implementation scope is limited, and has been
expanded in CURRENT".
--
J. Mallett                                                <jmallett () NewGold NET>
jmallett@{FreeBSD.org,xMach.org}                    deepthroat () bsdconspiracy net