Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: PDF modifications?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 08:50:59 -0400

On Fri, 17 May 2002 08:14:18 +0200, "Dawes, Rogan (ZA - Johannesburg)" said:

If the PDF is openable and viewable, but is "protected", so that you can't
select or print or annotate, that is easily bypassed with almost any
non-Adobe PDF viewer, such as xpdf, which simply elects not to honour that
setting in the PDF. The data is all there, because you can view it, it is
simply a case of the software choosing to not let you select it. Find some
software that doesn't honour those document settings, and you are on your
way.

As I recall, there was some discussion about this issue on the xpdf lists,
or somewhere, about whether xpdf should honour the document requests or not,
but it is really moot, since the source is there, just modify it to suit. I
think that was the conclusion by the xpdf developers, so they simply didn't
bother honouring the setting.

This must have been pre-DMCA. I would recommend that the xpdf
developers not visit the US, lest they be Skylarov'ed.

(The vuln-dev connection?  Consider why Alan Cox censored a Linux kernel
changelog - but further discussion should probably be moved to a political
list.  If you're in the US and of voting age, contact your Congresscreature
and tell them you want them to support Rep. Rick Boucher (D-VA) in his
attempts to fix the anti-circumvention clause of the DMCA).

We now return you to your regularly scheduled vuln-dev discussion, which
may be in violation of the anti-circumvention clause....
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer