Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Exploiting Buffer Overflows on Compaq Tru64 and No-Exec Stack

From: K2 <ktwo () ktwo ca>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 23:31:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 16 May 2002 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Thu, 16 May 2002 08:28:39 -0000, helmut schmidt <helmutsch69 () hotmail com>  said:

How can one exploit a Tru64 buffer overflow without executing code on the
stack ? I would appreciate any techniques / White papers or coding examples
that I can use to further my understanding of these issues in a 64-bit
environment.

Same way you exploit it on any other system that has a non-exec stack - using
a return-to-libc or other similar workaround....

It's harder then you think, there's tons of NULL's to work around
(64-bit)

--
                              Valdis Kletnieks
                              Computer Systems Senior Engineer