Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: CRLF Injection

From: Justin Case <weaver27 () earthlink net>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 06:37:46 -0700

Ulf Harnhammar wrote:
we can redirect to a site while setting a cookie by giving $url the value
"http://www.kuro5hin.org/\015\012Set-Cookie: evil=natas". If the cookie
contains important data and one user can save URL's that another user will be
redirected to, this can be serious.

While doing a pentest for a major banking website, I showed them how an attacker
could use this technique to set a permanent cookie to an invalid value,
resulting in a permanant DOS against every user that encountered the attack.

They finally understood what I was saying when I locked up a manager's browser
and he couldn't get into his own site until I deleted his bad cookie. But they
still felt it would be too much work to fix it.