Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Possible ZoneAlarm 3 Problem???

From: stefmit () starband net
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 07:21:38 -0500

I don't think ZA has anything to do with it. Did you actually read the
forums on that site? Could this be similar to what you are describing:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17071

On 8 May 2002 at 15:10, Nathan Anderson wrote:

 I was doing some surfing the web yesterday and one of the web sites
 haven't
been to for a while had some weird characters around the web site.  At
first I assumed that they were doing some debugging since it appeared to
be random 4 digit codes in random places on the web site.  Later in that
same session I had some problems viewing one of the theme demo pages on
the same site; so I disabled the Privacy system in ZA and notice that
the web site worked properly without the codes.  So I investigated it a
little more and here are the results of my tests:

1. I.E. 5.5 & Netscape 4.7x will both show the page with random 4 digit
codes randomly through the page. 2. Netscape 6.2.1 won't show the page
-- the view source for the page only shows "< html>< body>< /body><
/html>" (without the spaces) 3. Opera 6.01 refuses to do anything with
the page.

If I disable the Zone Alarms Privacy features (i.e. Click on the Browser
in Program Control->Programs and turn off Privacy) all the browsers work
properly as then ZA is no longer filtering the connection.

I filled out the form on ZA's website to report this and got back a nice
canned response that had nothing to do with the problem I reported.  So
I replied and got another stupid response from them that again had very
little to do with the problem.

So can someone confirm this problem:

I'm using Windows 2000 fully patched.
Zone Alarm 3.0.118 (Latest Version)