Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Possible privary leak converting to website stealing

From: Kai Kretschmann <K.Kretschmann () security-gui de>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 16:03:53 +0200

Some weeks ago I noticed a small amount of netbios name service broadcasts on our internal LAN. First I only though about some sort of privacy leak as posted on this list at april 25th. You could receive name resolution requests for internet domains below 17 characters length sent via broadcast to every station connected. I found it important to say by broadcast, so you don't have to sniff or trick at some switches, but you get it delivered right to your desktop!

Now I programmed a little tool which could exploit this behavior even further. It's intended as a proof of concept to send false/faked name resolution answers to the clients mentioned above. Preferrably with an IP number of a web server you already put a perfect mirror of the redirected website on. Now you could be able to redirect the clients traffic to this site and either fool him with wrong brokerage news or convince him to enter his usual passwort account data. It compiled here under SuSE Linux 7.2, just enter your domain and ip data on the command line.

I tried it in my test LAN and it worked, not only with browsers but also with every other windows application, like mysql clients etc., they all can be redirected this way. And it works only on domain names up to 16 characters.

If you ever saw these UDP/137 broadcasts for name resolution requests of the form WWW.DOMAIN.COM these clients might be vulnerable to this sort of simple attack. You can trigger this behavior for testing reasons on any windows pc by disabling dns resolution temporarily, just to trigger only these packets.

In real life(tm) we have a broad range of different windows and service pack installations so we didn't get a common dominator yet how only some clients try to resolve this way.

--
Think Safety
Kai Kretschmann