Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: compress(vul) + ftpd(?)

From: H D Moore <sflist () digitaloffense net>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 08:18:28 -0600

YES.  wu-ftpd will call compress with the file name as an argument if you
request the file name ending in .Z. You have to be able to write out a file
name containing the shell code to exploit the bug. I mentioned the compress
bug back in 1998 and again in 2000, it finally got fixed on some of the newer
SuSE releases (not sure about Red Hat, I dont use it).

See: http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/bugtraq0003/179.html

Another fun one is tar, the --use-compress-program option might be
exploitable under wu-ftpd as well, although I cant think of a way to do it
offhand.