Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: tcp/ip hardware offload

From: "PIATT, BRET L (PB)" <bp3847 () sbc com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 08:57:05 -0800

This isn't just TCP/IP stack specific.  I know for CPU thermal testing Intel
has some specific programs that will quickly heat the CPU up.  I think most
of the motherboards today will shutdown the processor before it overheats
and damages itself though.  These programs have been around for years and
hackers have yet to release a virus exploiting them.  Until somebody
malicious makes use of programs like this or finds a way to DoS the TCP/IP
stack of one of these cards the vendors are going to ignore the cries of the
security community because it is too expensive to test for all these things.

Bret Piatt