Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Re New Binary Bruteforcing Method Discovered

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 13:48:02 -0800

Michal Zalewski wrote:

Oh, this is a known problem as well? :) Well, pressing CTRL+C usually
does the trick. Then again, of course you can write a little program to
enumerate processes in the group of the shell process running the
library interception tests, then check their activity time and send them
appropriate signals to continue when they stall...

Hello? I think you do not really understand what I was trying to say - try
'Turing "halting problem"' in google.com.

What he is trying to get at is that you can define a fixed amount of
time as a maximum, and simply kill the process at that point, if you
don't have an answer yet.

Nowadays, the analysis of all
possible execution paths for any given program (for example to find an
answer whether certain code will be executed or not, and in what order - a
critical issue for static, automated detection of dynamic vulnerabilities)
is excessively time consuming and completely not feasible in most cases.

Naturally, any claim that "all vulnerabilities can be found" by a
Turing machine is incorrect.  Having a fixed timer will find many
that fall into a certain class... such as simple overflows or
format strings in initialization code involving command-line
options or environment variables.

As a counter example, I believe there was a bug in Win9x that caused
it to crash after the machine had been up 90-something days straight.
Some tick counter maxed out.  There's a good example of something
that running a program for 1 minute won't catch.

                                        BB