Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: pure IE code injection

From: "Tiago Halm" <thalm () netcabo pt>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 01:48:36 -0000

Windows XP / IE 6 + hotfixes

IE does decode the attachments, the attachment is written in the current
users temp directory (ex: in XP is %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp)
but the file is written with a temp filename which cannot be known since
it's generation perhaps depends on the local machine or the browser
settings.

The temp filename generation is probably obtained through the
GetTempFilename function, but it's arguments are not known.
In my machine, every time I would browse the page, the filename created
was something like "tmpxxx.tmp" in which the xxx is an hexadecimal
value. This hexadecimal value was incremented by 5 everytime I would
browse the page.

Tiago Halm