Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Quick SNMP Payload Structure Question

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 00:56:29 -0500

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 05:46:09 GMT, Eric Brandwine said:

This is a well documented (if somewhat dense) standard.  Go to the
official docs, rather than trying to reverse engineer it.  I've read
the docs, and you'll never figure it out.  There's some odd stuff in
BER.  That's why so many vendors have so much trouble decoding it
safely.

How many vendors tried to implement BER and related stuff without reading
the 'Implementors Workshop' documents (or whatever they called the errata and
explanations and "We've decided to read the unclear standard THIS way" stuff)?