Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: BUG in ftp client on *BSD and Solaris system?

From: Vanja Hrustic <vanja () vanja com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 13:07:31 +0700

On Fri, 31 May 2002 21:36:55 +0200
Admin <admin () www dragonlance eu org> wrote:

 >root@Wayreth[~]: ftp ftp.unina.it
 >Connected to ftp.unina.it.
 >220
 >Name (ftp.unina.it:root): ^\Quit (core dumped)
 >root@Wayreth[~]:

for do that, just push CTRL+รน when the user is requested...

Tested system:

<snip>

Very old issue, and mostly useless. But...

Few years ago, I used this to mess-up Platinum ACX (AutoSecure) on a HP-UX
platform. Even if ACX setup would try to prevent root from doing anything,
I would simply create a symlink (core -> any ACX protected file, including
ACX files themselves), and dump core with FTP client. Protected file was
overwritten.

No idea if this was ever fixed, since ACX guys blamed HP-UX for this.
Never got anything back from them.

If you run ACX, give it a try - it might still work.

Vanja