Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: DNS Version check.

From: Peter Thoenen <pthoenen () uwm edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 19:55:10 -0500

Anybody know a way to do this w/o the chaos record? Dont' feel like editing my named.conf to allow chaos records. (Have viewed them out)

-Peter

Edwin Groothuis wrote:
On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 05:59:37PM -0400, Vjay LaRosa wrote:

Does any one know if it is possible to request the version of bind a server is running? I would like to write a quick perl script to scan my network to check all of the versions. Thanks!

dig @dnsserver version.bind chaos txt

But keep in mind that this string can be set to anything random
within the named.conf options-block. (man named.conf and search for
version.bind).

Edwin