Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Trillian Messaging Software

From: "Mike Theriault" <Mike_Theriault () Jabil com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 15:20:34 -0400

Several of us in our LAN use it and since I'm a "Curious George" and always
manage to find an exploit or two in most messaging products, I have not
found any significant security issues will Trillian.  However, there is a
small but potentially serious issue with the way it redirects your MSN
account to hotmail.  Trillian invokes shdocvw.dll Internet explorer type
library and passes a string in a URL that contains your username and
password in plain-text.  This is especially dangerous when someone is
sniffing your network segment and/or your friendly neighborhood IT Network
Administrator peruses the firewall logs and discovers your MSN credentials.

Also, Trillian's default configuration turns on logging for all chat client
types.  So if you use it, be sure to turn it off, unless you want prying
eyes to find out what you really think about your boss.

I chose the blue pill and uninstalled it.

Mike