Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Xbox (Was -Online Games Consoles and Security Implications)

From: "Doug" <MatrixNe07 () insightbb com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 12:35:24 -0400

The DMCA isn't laid out to apply to persons outside of the U.S, but as
Dmitri Sklyarov found out you don't even have to commit the crime in the
U.S they will still punish you.  For anyone unfamiliar, Dmitri Sklyarov
worked for a Russian company called Elcom, that provided a program to
crack e-book security on the web.  Adobe then insisted that they take
down the program, and arrest Sklyarov.  Elcom did take down the
offending program, but when Sklyarov came to the U.S to give a speech on
the weaknesses of e-book security at defcon, the FBI arrested him.
Basically it all boils down to if you are in any way connected to
something that breaks DMCA, they'll end up getting you in the end.

-Doug