Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: spying (deleted) file entries in other users' directories

From: "D.C. van Moolenbroek" <xanadu () chello nl>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:47:16 +0200

Hi there,

I saw this for the first time 3 years ago on a SunOS system while doing
"cat /root" as a user. I don't know if current Sun systems are patched or
not.

Solaris 8 is vulnerable at least, the scenario you attached works on Solaris
8 exactly the same way...don't know about Solaris 9. On a sidenote, IRIX is
not vulnerable.

$ uname -svr
SunOS 5.8 Generic_108528-14

Note that on my system, reading doesn't work on /tmp ("input error: Invalid
argument"); it seems to work on all other directories though. Generally I
suppose it's a bad idea to put something sensitive in a filename, but what
do the other bytes represent, that show up in the hexdump?

-David

--
class sig{static void main(String[]s){for// D.C. van Moolenbroek
(int _=0;19>_;System.out.print((char)(52^// (CS student, VU, NL)