Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: DNS zone transfer

From: "David LaPorte" <david_laporte () harvard edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 00:20:09 -0400

Sorry to post late - I've been on vacation and I didn't see a solution
posted in the thread.

DNS/BIND has no built-in mechanism to enumerate domains on a nameserver, but
it is fairly straight-forward to do with whois if the domains are registered
with network solutions (and some other registrar that supports HOST and
SERVER lookups).

Execute a domain query.
Locate the first DNS server.
Execute a whois query on that DNS server:
whois "HOST 10.10.10.1"@whois.networksolutions.com
Locate the HST record for the DNS server.
Execute a whois query with the server directive using whois and the
respective HST record:
whois "SERVER NS9999-HST"@whois.networksolutions.com

The above is from Hacking Exposed.  fatbrain.com was kind enough to publish
the entire chapter :)
http://www.osborne.com/fatbrain/series/networking/security/hack3e_ch01.html

This isn't fail-proof, but this is the only way I know of to get the info
you're looking for.

David