Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Plain text password for Microsoft (icwip.dun)

From: Knud Erik Højgaard <kain () egotrip dk>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 22:58:36 +0200

From: "Roland Postle" <mail () blazde co uk>
Subject: Re: Plain text password for Microsoft (icwip.dun)

'Storing' the password in encrypted form would be quite easy to
accomplish,
and it would at least stop the casual snooper. You could argue that the
same
passwords /are/ encrypted when they're put in the registry, so why not in
.ins files too? It increases the security a tad.

It protects against the casual snooper, agreed, but a determined attacker
bypasses
this.. there are numerous tools for extracting 'encrypted' dial-up passwords
etc. from
the registry.

Anyway, for a complete solution I think we should wait for... Palladium
and
TCPA-based modems.

You go that way, I'll go this. See you there.

-Knud