Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: [NGSEC] Whitepaper Released: Polymorphic shellcodes vs. ApplicationIDSs

From: Charles 'core' Stevenson <core () bokeoa com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 11:53:36 -0700

The code is interesting and pretty nice except that it detects just
about anything as shellcode. Even the last e-mail I sent out to you and
forgot to CC to the list. ;-)

IA32 shellcode found: Protocol TCP 127.0.0.1:57118 -> 127.0.0.1:25
Dumping data:
@hotmail.com>..Content-Type: text/plain;
 charset=us-ascii..Content-Transfer-Enco
ding: 7bit....But it also detected the l
ast e-mail I sent as shellcode.....Haha.
.....peace,..core....Robert Flicker wrot
e:..> ..> Hi charles:..> ..> Have you te
sted the sourcecode that comes with the
paper:..> ..> http://www.ngsec.com/downl
oads/misc/NIDSfindshellcode.tgz..> ..> A
s far as i know is the first public code
 that does this stuff...> It may be not
hot-news but i think it worth the downlo
ad, and is a better..> solution for curr
ent IDS than your exoteric thoughts with
 Neuronal Networks..> and distributed si
gnature checking... INMHO uimplementable
 in current IDS..> technologies...> ..>
Quoting from www.snort.org:..> ..> "Pape
r: Polymorphicisms be gone..> .....> His
 ideas revolve around counting multiple
NOP type operations in a row and..> aler
ting when a threshold is reached. The id
ea has been kicked around for a..> while
, but this is the first one that I have
seen in actual implementation...> .....>
 "..> ..> Current snort branch and its t
echnique to detect shellcode is very eas
y..> foolable ;P... NIDSfindshellcode is
 also foolable but in a harder way...> .
.> Robert Flicker..> ..> _______________

Best Regards,
Charles Stevenson