Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

CGI THREAT: Malicious data injection into Perl modules.

From: Onesphorf hass <onesphorf () yahoo se>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:30:10 +0100 (CET)

Hi SecurityPeople!

I have found a new method of CGI exploitation. I have
found
3 bugs in commonly used CGIs. Since I am working with
the
authors now, proof of concept exploits will not be
released before patches and updates are done. However,
 I have written a Security paper to share with the
Security People.

Feedback is wanted, I don't consider it done yet :)
- Onesphorf

                                   Author: 0nesphorf
                                 0nesphorf () hotmail com
               CGI THREAT: Malicious data injection
into Perl modules.

01.    Introduction
02.    Risk
03.    Demonstration
04.    Solution
05.    Conclusion and Thanks

01. Introduction

   Most websites today gives the user the ability to
give input,
and return output based on the input. The ability to
create
dynamic web-pages is often thanks to CGI scripts. This
makes
for more interesting surfing (port surf's up, btw!),
but as
I will demonstrate in this article it can also help an
attacker exploit your website.

02. Type of Threats

   The specific threat that I will discuss in this
article
is the ability to inject commands into Perl modules
used
by the CGI application itself. If we can trick the CGI
script to add code into the module, chances are that
we
will be able to execute commands.

03. Examples

(name of CGI script is taken away, since I haven't
notified vendor yet)

% nc localhost 80
GET /cgi-bin/xXXx.pl?user=0nesphorf;'touch /tmp/test'
HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error