Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: RPC/TCP Record Marking for IDS Evasion

From: Dug Song <dugsong () monkey org>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 00:55:54 -0500

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 06:34:38PM -0800, diphen () agitation net wrote:

I'm doing some work on parsing RPC protocols as part of my job, and I'm
wondering if I've come up with a previously-unknown way of evading IDS
for RPC-based attacks.

i mentioned (and implemented) this about two years ago. Robert Graham
subsequently fixed this in his NetworkICE product, not sure about others:

        http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/ids/2000-q1/0007.html
        http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/ids/2000-q1/0149.html

what if I split my attack into 5-byte chunks, with 4 bytes of Record
Marker between them? Theoretically (untested) a proper RPC
implementation on a system shouldn't have any trouble dealing with
this...

yes, this works, if done properly. :-)

The fragmentation and insertion of RMs is only known to the RPC
implementation on the target machine.

not true. there isn't really any ambiguity to exploit in simple RPC
fragmentation, it's just more processing the monitor needs to do.

-d.

---
http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/