Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: slocate bug.

From: Rodrigo Barbosa <rodrigob () tisbrasil com br>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:38:22 -0300

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 09:54:39AM +0000, Wodahs Latigid wrote:
Again, on Conectiva Linux snapshot:

frodo [/home/rodrigob] > slocate abc -oMoP
fatal error: slocate: Must specify an 'Update' database option first.
frodo [/home/rodrigob] > ls -lap MoP
ls: MoP: No such file or directory
Just out of curiosity, if you give it the
required option (the 'Update' database
option), plus the -o option, does it
still not create the file?

Yes, the file is created. But as far as I undertood the docs, this is
the expected behaviour.
And reading about the tests of the other list subscribers, looks like
there is no system with any file writable by group slocate.
Now, the question remains: is it possible to compromisse anything with
it ? At first glance, I'm tempted to say "no".

Anyone cares to make a definitive statement ?

[]s

 Rodrigo Barbosa                   - rodrigob at tisbrasil.com.br
 TIS                               - Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
 "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"  - http://www.tisbrasil.com.br/
 Brainbench Certified -> Transcript ID #3332104